Explore Three Sisters part of the Flashes National Nature Reserve
Three Sisters is a family-friendly visitors attraction where the Carbon Landscape story is brought to life.
Three Sisters Access for all comprises 3km wheelchair accessible paths co-produced with local groups with additional needs.
The Easter Egg Treasure Hunt is always a highlight with egg rolling down Arena Hill, one of the former coal spoil heaps.
A family-friendly site to enjoy:
- Ducks on the lake, birds at the feeding station and dragonflies over the wetlands.
- Wildlife rubbings trail [hyperlink Three Sisters Wildlife Rubbing Trail | Carbon Landscapes]
- a large metal xylophone to call the fairies and goblins of the Enchanted woodland tree trail (designed by St Peters Primary School Bryn) [hyperlink The Enchanted Tree Trail Stories | Carbon Landscapes]
- Heritage Audio Trail [hyperlink Heritage Audio Trail | Carbon Landscapes]
- Augmented reality trail on the bridleway [hyperlink www.carbonlandscape.org.uk/soundbites]
- Children’s playground with an ice cream in the summer months.
The site is the former Garswood Hall Collieries and the Three Sisters were the spoil heaps. Heritage information by Ian Winstanley of the Friends of Three Sisters [hyperlink History of Three Sister Recreation Area | Carbon Landscapes]
The site is owned by Wigan Council and has an active Friends of Tree [hyperlink Friends of Three Sisters | Friends of Three Sisters Information (friendsof3sisters.org.uk)] and the Hamlet social enterprise [hyperlink The Hamlet - Three Sisters - Wigan (thehamletwigan.co.uk) coffee shop operates in term time.
The Recreation Area is open every day of the year during daylight hours. The wheelchair-accessible toilet requires a radar key and is the only toilet available.
For cafe opening hours please see https://www.thehamletwigan.co.uk
There is also a friendly and active group called the Three Sisters Friends of Group. If you would like more information then check out https://friendsof3sisters.org.uk
Three Sisters Recreation Area, Three Sisters Road, Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan, WN4 8DD, UK.